- Country name : Cayman Islands
- Official name : Cayman Islands
- System of government : British crown colony
- National anthem :
- Area : 262 km²
- Capital : George Town
- Border countries : island group in the Caribbean Sea, between Cuba and Honduras
- Population : 45 436 (2006)
- Language(s) : English
- Religions : United Church, Anglican, Baptist, Church of God, other Protestant, Roman Catholic
>Tax-exempt incomes and an absence of control over the exchange rates make the Cayman Islands one of the world’s major tax haven.
>Tourism constitutes the main activity.
>Sectors with fast growth are : electricity, gas and hydraulics, hotel business, restoration, transport, communications and financial services.
>1503 : Christopher Columbus discovers the Cayman Islands.
>1670 : Spain gives away the Islands to Great Britain.
>From 1959 till 1962 : The Cayman Islands are part of the Union of the West Indies.
>1966 : Landmark legislation is introduced to encourage banking industry.
>1972 : New Constitution. Cayman is governed by a Legislative Assembly, Executive Council and a Governor.
>2004 : The Cayman Islands were hit by Hurricane Ivan, causing mass devastation.