John D. MacArthur Professor of Physics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
Principal investigator in the Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics group in the Research Laboratory of Electronics.
Wolfgang Ketterle's research is in atomic physics and laser spectroscopy, particularly in the area of laser cooling and trapping of neutral atoms with the goal of exploring new aspects of ultracold atomic matter. Since the discovery of gaseous Bose-Einstein condensation, large samples of ultracold atoms at nanokelvin temperatures are available. His research group uses such samples for various directions of research. Bose-Einstein condensates are a new quantum fluid. The interactions among the atoms make them an intriguing novel many-body system. Aspects of interest are sound, superfluidity, and properties of miscible and immiscible multi-component condensates. These topics are interdisciplinary with condensed matter physics.
The coherence properties of the condensate are exploited in the field of atom optics. Coherent beams of atoms extracted from the condensate ("atom lasers") are analogous to optical laser beams. Ketterle's research group has used Bose-Einstein condensates as amplifiers for light and for atoms. A third direction are precision measurements. The unprecedented control over the position and velocity of atoms provided by Bose-Einstein condensates is exploited for high precision atom interferometry.
1. J.M. Vogels, K. Xu, C. Raman, J.R. Abo-Shaeer, and W. Ketterle:
Experimental observation of the Bogoliubov transformation for a Bose-Einstein condensed
2. T.L.Gustavson, A.P.Chikkatur, A.E.Leanhardt, A.Görlitz, S.Gupta, D.E.Pritchard, and
Transport of Bose-Einstein Condensates with Optical Tweezers.
3. J.R. Abo-Shaeer, C. Raman, and W. Ketterle:
Formation and Decay of Vortex Lattices in Bose-Einstein Condensates at Finite
4. C. Raman, J.R. Abo-Shaeer, J.M. Vogels, K. Xu, and W. Ketterle:
Vortex Nucleation in a Stirred Bose-Einstein Condensate.
Phys. Rev. Lett., in print.
5. A. Görlitz, J.M. Vogels, A.E. Leanhardt, C. Raman, T.L. Gustavson, J.R. Abo-Shaeer, A.P.
Chikkatur, S. Gupta, S. Inouye, T. Rosenband, and W. Ketterle:
Realization of Bose-Einstein condensates in lower dimensions.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 130402 (2001).
6. S. Inouye, S. Gupta, T. Rosenband, A.P. Chikkatur, A. Görlitz, T.L. Gustavson, A.E.
Leanhardt, D.E. Pritchard, and W. Ketterle:
Observation of vortex phase singularities in Bose-Einstein condensates.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 080402 (2001).
7. J.R. Abo-Shaeer, C. Raman, J.M. Vogels, and W. Ketterle:
Observation of Vortex Lattices in Bose-Einstein Condensates.
Science 292, 476-479 (2001).
8. W. Ketterle and S. Inouye:
Collective enhancement and suppression in Bose-Einstein condensates.
Compte rendus de l'académie des sciences, Série IV - Physique Astrophysique, vol. 2, pp.
339-380 (2001); e-print cond- mat/0101424 29.
9. C. Raman, R. Onofrio, J.M. Vogels, J.R. Abo-Shaeer, and W. Ketterle:
Dissipationless flow and superfluidity in gaseous Bose-Einstein condensates.
J. Low Temp. Phys. 122, 99-116 (2001).
10. W. Ketterle and S. Inouye:
Does matter wave amplification work for fermions?
Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 4203-4206 (2001).
11. A. Görlitz, A.P. Chikkatur, and W. Ketterle:
Enhancement and suppression of spontaneous emission and light scattering by quantum
Phys. Rev. A 36, 041601(R) (2001).